1) A flat white comes standard as a double shot in most places. (60ml Espresso & 120ml Steamed milk) If you’re looking for a ‘flattie’ in Australia, you might need to specify your single vs. double preference. Here at the Roast we serve standard double flat whites unless you ask for a single.
2) Our house blend is a combination of 8 to 10 single origin beans from around the world! We have a medium to medium dark roast which makes for smooth, easy drinking deliciousness. There are a number of roasting methods used when it comes to coffee see below for the most common types:
- Light Roast OR Light City Roast; Half City Roast, Cinnamon Roast or New England Roast.
- Medium Roast OR Regular Roast, American Roast, City Roast & Breakfast Roast.
- Medium Dark Roast OR Full City Roast, After-Dinner Roast, Vienna Roast.
- Dark Roast OR French Roast, Italian Roast, Espresso Roast, Continental Roast, New Orleans Roast & Spanish Roast.
3) Coffee does in fact have a life span when it comes to taste and flavour. Beans need to be kept in an air tight container and will retain the freshness for about a month. Ground coffee starts to lose its freshness in about one to two weeks. Our advice – grab some beans and grind only as you need to preserve flavour, taste and freshness.
4) Two types of species of beans are most commonly known around the world. Arabica, and Robusta.
- Arabica coffee makes up 60% of the world’s commercial coffee production. These beans are known to produce a higher quality and better tasting cuppa. (This is the good stuff with which The Roast produces its finest House Blend – we’re 100% Arabica).
- Robusta coffee accounts for about 40% of the world’s coffee production. The taste is more bitter, and tends to pack a real punch with 40-50% more caffeine than Arabica. Robusta is sometimes used as a less expensive alternative in blends. It’s a harsher, full bodied taste which apparently suits the Italian Roast lovers.
5) All our drinks are espresso based. We can fix you with anything from a macchiato (60ml espresso with a dollop or two of foam) to a Cafe Mocha (60ml espresso 60ml Chocolate 30ml Steamed milk). We serve a delicious ‘secret recipe’ hot chocolate and when the sun is out in full force we have a thirst quenching, energy replenishing iced coffee on tap!